As I delve deeper into this strange new world of blogging, I find more and more things I’d like to be able to do…but don’t know how to do. I keep asking myself How did they get an e-book, newsletter and all those great pictures on their blog?
One of the answers I’ve found is: Widgets
So here is my attempt at diving in to the wonderful world of widgets.
I found the following links to learn more about text widgets:
- http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/text-widget/ – provided some basic information about how to work with the Text Widget.
- http://lorelle.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/wordpress-tips-exploring-the-wordpress-text-widget/ – this is the site that “wowed me” with all the possiblities of the Text Widget.
- http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/basic-html-codes-wordpress/ - a site that starts to explain how to use HTML codes to add links, banners and images to your sidebar through the Text Widget.
- http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/ – this is a plug-in directory. I’m still trying to wrap my head around this but I think they connect with Text Widgets, in that you add the HTML code of the plugin into the Text Widget to make it work. Not entirely sure…need to explore it further.
- http://boomerempowerment.com/wordpress101/adding-ebook-sidebar/ - this is the one that really started to excite me (and overwhelm me) – using the Text Widget to add an eBook to your WordPress sidebar.
- http://www.heatherporter.com/create-and-sell-products/adding-paypal-to-wordpress-sell-ebook/ – after finding the above link, I dug around some more and found information about adding Paypal to WordPress to sell an eBook. I know it doesn’t relate to Text Widgets, but I thought I’d share it with you any ways (for a small % of any royalties you get when you sell your eBook – lol)
The Image Widget seemed far more straightforward than the Text Widget (but maybe my brain decided to stop working after visiting so may sites :) ). I found two sites that helped me figure out how to add an image to my sidebar using the Image Widget:
- http://photopin.com/ - free photos for bloggers. You have to remember to post the photo credit at the bottom of the blog page (or at the bottom of the Image Widget). I like that they have no watermark on them.
- http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/image-widget/#image-widget-alt-text – instructions on how to use the Image Widget to display an image in your blog’s sidebar.
So…what was the result of all of this? A) an awareness of how much more reading and practicing I need to do to even begin to take full advantage of the Text Widget and B) a basic example that you’ll find at the top of my sidebar (My Personal Mantra), that used both the Image Widget and Text Widget.